Brighton Palace Pier
Braye Pier was designed by local architect, R. St. George Moore, and built by Holloway Brothers of Blackfriars Bridge in 1891–92. It was designed as a promenading and pleasure pier boosted by the arrival of the railway at Brighton in 1840. The pier was closed from late 1940s to 1952 for repairs and alterations following a fire that destroyed several hundred feet of the pier at a cost of £23,000. In 1950 it was fitted with new tram shelters together with benches and tables set into the structure but these have now gone and have been replaced by plain railings.
The pier was built to designs by R, Mad About Brighton (madaboutbrighton.co.uk). St George Moore, engineer E. J. Tidal and chief contractor W. H. Bennetts. The foundation stone was laid by mayor Mr Soper on 7 November 1891 using a silver trowel which still remains in the town's possession. It was built alongside an entertainment building called the Brighton Aquarium (which became the Palace Pier Pavilion) and statues of Hans Christian Andersen and Lord Melbourne overlook its length.
The pier has featured recently in British popular culture. The pier and seafront were used as a location in the 2015 one-off BBC drama, Collateral, starring Carey Mulligan and Nicola Walker. It creates a dramatic ending around the pier, with Holliday Grainger being rescued by Ben Kingsley after she is pushed into the water by an unknown assailant. It has featured in British films and television programmes, as well as in video games. On film it was bombarded as a set during the filming of _The Longest Day (1962 film)|The Longest Day_.
The Pier has also featured in the series of _Midsomer Murders_(2001 TV series). The pier has featured regularly in British popular culture. One example is the 2003 BBC comedy-drama series "Hustle", which was set around a fictional gang operating out of Brighton pier. The programme did much to boost the image of the grade II. The Piers were featured in the video for the Blur song " Tender ", released in 1996. In the video, directed by Sophie Muller, Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman play Londoners who have visited Brighton pier to find themselves unable to leave due.
The pier was designed by the architect Sir Joseph Bazalgette, and constructed by R. St George Moore, under the supervision of R. St George Moore & Sons, for an estimated cost of £16,000 (equivalent to £1. 2 million in 2016). It closely followed an 1891 design for a pier at Rottingdean , north of Brighton, which had been rejected by the local council, and featured identical decking with two tiers for promenading. Bazalgette considered his Brighton design more ambitious than his designs for Blackpool 's piers, but in both cases he "avoided stretching the pier out too long as this would have spoiled the view".
The pier was named. The pier was designed and constructed by R. St George Moore for a syndicate led by the Marquis of Bristol; they received a 21-year lease in 1891, and intended to build a high-class dance hall for the promenade. When finished, the pillars at the entrance were painted scarlet and gold; inside, the floor was laid with cream tiles. The interior of the building was decorated in scarlet, gold, oak and plush.
It was equipped with a hydraulic lift so ladies could reach the upper deck without having to climb stairs. The pier was designed by the engineer R. St George Moore. It cost £25,000 (£3m as of 2012) and was built by Andrew Handyside & Co. It was originally intended to be 600 feet (183 m) long, but during construction, its length was increased to 740 feet (230 m). The pier was opened on 28 December 1891 – the entrance charge was sixpence for adults and threepence for children, while sailors were given free admission.
The pier was designed by St George Moore, and the structure was built by a Brighton firm called J. D. Sedding for a cost of £15,000. J. D. Sedding were also responsible for works associated with the Royal Pavilion at the same period; in fact, work on both projects overlapped in 1891. The pier was opened to great fanfare on 24 July 1894 when 2,000 children smashed "hard-boiled eggs against the railings". The minimum age for an unaccompanied minor is 15 years old and they must be travelling on a non-refundable ticket.
The Arundel Pier was built in 1872 from cast iron and glass. Designed by H. E. Malden, it was the first of three piers in the town: a sea-side attraction that developed during the 19th century, as a fashionable way to spend time on leisure outings, and thus popularised by aristocrats. The timing was good for Arundel pier since the popularity of the railway had made Brighton accessible to more people than ever before.
Developed by a company chaired by the Duke of Norfolk, its location at the end of the newly-constructed Steine promenade and railway line were prompted by this increase in visitors; an estimated 10 million came. The Pier was originally constructed in wood, but this decayed. In 1813 the Company was granted permission to rebuild in stone and a new Pier head was completed in September 1814. More extensions were added during the 19th century, until it became the structure seen today.
The pier exceeded a length of 1 mile (1. 6 km) in 1900 when the line connecting the Chain Pier and the West pier was completed. This made it longer than both of Brighton's other piers, though shorter than Blackpool's much older pleasure pier at that time. The pier is 1,029 feet (310 m) long, and consists of an open deck with a tower topped by a rotating light. The arrangement of the planks on the deck was altered in 1887, and again in 1995 to resemble the original layout.
It had been 4,974 feet (1,517 m) long and 32 feet (10 m) wide when built. A clockwork mechanism was installed in 1955 to turn the light at night after finance for a cost of £650 was obtained from a newspaper. The Brighton Palace Pier is a leisure attraction in Brighton, England. The pier was opened on March 11, 1899 and extends out to sea—with the West Pier and Palace Pier Theatre—towards the Royal Pavilion.
It is our policy not to close during Bank Holidays. We endeavour to give at least four weeks'notice of any change in our opening times but if this should be inadequate for your needs, prior warning will be given as soon as we can possibly do so. Every year, parents and grandparents wonder what are the opening times for all of the popular attractions. To sort out the confusion below is a list of the opening times for Christmas Day 2018.
The pier opened on 20th May 1899 with a large crowd of spectators. The pier took three years to build at a cost of £27,000. A shed near the end housed a 1500 seat theatre named the Majestic Pier Theatre. This was where shows were performed and also served as the entrance to the pier. In later years this was used as a cinema. There were several different eateries located at various points along the 3,000 foot pier.
Ornamental electric lighting arches hung over the structure's two kilometres of decking, which was adorned with benches for people to rest on while admiring the view. R. St. George Moore was the pier's designer, and the wrought iron work was by the Birmingham firm of Alexander Mitchell & Co. The ornamental lighting was by Chance's and the pavilions were designed by Ewan Christian, whose other commissions in south-east England included Brighton Pier (1899) and Blackpool Central Pier (1902).